Most Peeped Thrills This Week

Wednesday 9 May 2012

R.I.P Maurice Sendak

So sad to hear about Maurice Sendak passing this morning. My sister commented that it was like losing a grandparent. Anyone who grew up buried in books like me and my sisters did will probably have read his books over and over again. 






I highly recommend going out and getting the animated version of Where The Wild Things Are (first published in 1963!). The animation uses Sendak's original illustrations and is a great supplement to the book - which you should definitely own! Along with my personal favourite,  In The Night Kitchen, the truly absurd Some Swell Pup : or Are You Sure You Want a Dog? (especially good for older kids - it's a comic!) and the beautiful Outside Over There.


Meanwhile check out this great interview (in two parts) Stephen Colbert did with Maurice Sendak did earlier this year. It turned out it would be the writer's last ever interview.  Colbert, by the way, has just come out with children's book that Sendak mentored him on. Can't wait to see it!



No comments: